The Inn Keeper

The Inn Keeper
on the road to Jericho

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

5 Steps Guaranteed to end your Panic Attack



Three years ago, my family and I were at the Mt Fuji Safari Resort in Japan, and as we posed to get our picture taken with a baby lion, the handler gave us strict instructions of how to hold it, and warned us not to play with it and not to pet it- just hold on tight. Well, I didn’t heed to the instructions, and went on to scratch his little cubby ears. Oh boy, the little cub let out a huge roar, and snapped at my hands almost biting it off. I believe that was the most scared I ever felt in my life. It was a real threat. I didn’t follow instructions and almost paid heavily for that mistake.

There are very few things that really scare me. I don’t think there was anytime in my life when I panicked. However, my heart really goes out to some people I know who are afflicted with this newly addressed but old situation. I say this, because when I read through my bible, I can see that there was lots of people who often times felt afraid. Like Joseph, Job, Moses, Gideon, Peter and the disciples, and the list goes on. However, I couldn’t find a description such as todays to devastating power of panic syndrome.

It is so easy to feel anxious, worried, overwhelmed, or just out of control in our lives. Many things around us cause us to stress or fear, and everywhere we turn, it seems like more bad news pops up.

According to some experts, “Panic disorder is an anxiety disorder characterized by reoccurring unexpected panic attacks. Panic attacks are sudden periods of intense fear that may include palpitations, sweating, shaking, shortness of breath, numbness, or a feeling that something really bad is going to happen.

I recently talked to a friend, and while we talked, I really felt his pain. I wish there was a way for me to just say a word and make his panic go away. A few years back, Bob Newhart had a skit in a comedy show, which portrayed a most effective counseling session. And at the same an insensitive way that some people are using to deal with people who have the panic syndrome. Watch the skit here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY2r0J0RHV4

The counseling session I am referring to is called “Stop It!” If you haven’t seen it yet, you’ll laugh quite a bit, even if you deal with panic yourself. But for a quick overlook, a woman, named Katherine Bigmans, goes to the psychiatrist—Dr. Switzer (Bob Newhart). He informs her that his counseling sessions are $5 for the first five minutes and then nothing after that. Katherine is delighted, but the doctor assures her that the session won’t be longer than five minutes. Katherine proceeds to tell the doctor her situation, and so the skit goes on, but his answer for everything is just a saying: STOP IT! And for a few minutes, his only way to help her is by saying: STOP IT!

At the end of the plot, since there are a couple of minutes left, Dr. Switzer invites her to address any other issues in her life. Katherine then tells the doctor that she is bulimic, and that she sticks her fingers down her throat, to which Dr. Switzer replies, “Stop it! Are you a nut of some kind?” The counseling session continues for the full five minutes. After some back-and-forth haggling over the simple solution, the doctor ends the session with his final advice to her of ten words: “Stop it or I’ll bury you alive in a box!"

In order not to sound like Bob Newhart’s Dr. Switzer, I looked for 5 steps that you are guaranteed to beat any kind of panic attack!

1. Pause and think biblically - Fear is not of God. He instead gives us good gifts -- power, love, and a clear mind. He desires more for us, and we can accept those good gifts and leave the fear and worry behind through his grace. When fear, panic or anxiety begins to show its symptoms, read these words. 
• For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7 
• It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

2. Know that there you are safe - Jesus passed through worse situations than you. He carried the guilty of our sins and told us not to be afraid. Nothing can harm or damage your soul. Even death is under God’s rule.
• When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalms 56:3 
• The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18

3. Take refuge, find strength - Jesus promises us that he is always with us and will always strengthen us. 
• So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 
• Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. Colossians 3:15

4. Feel the peace - When we come to know Jesus and his mercy, we come to find his peace during the worse times
• And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7 
• LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us. Isaiah 26:12

5. Stiff upper lip, make a fist and be strong - Jesus has freed us, but we must rely on his power and his love to get us there. Be strong in him. Trust in him. Let him guide you and let him be your peace. 
• Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9 
• The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Psalms 29:11

Some people really do experience all kinds of traumas. The impact of sin in our lives is terrifying, but when we come to Jesus, and submit to his mercy, we also submit to his instructions. Most of the times, we put ourselves in dangerous situations, like I did with the little big lion cub. I didn’t follow instructions and almost had my hand bitten off. I thought “Its just a little baby…” But following God’s commandments, through his grace, we are sure to find that we can be as strong as He is. So go at it, He’s already won our victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment